Sony's ad, "Sony -- Script to Screen," features the use of relatability and prevalence to appeal to the common viewer. In the commercial, an average man is shown writing a screenplay. The commercial then describes the process of the creation of the film, showing how every step along the way involves Sony services or products. Firstly, it establishes relatability by taking a simple concept like writing a screenplay and showing an average, relatable man doing it. Secondly, it subtly makes us think that Sony is the best technology company by showing us that its products constantly surround us and enable us to act on our aspirations, much like they allow the man to make his movie. Additionally, its use of romantic lighting and uplifting music induces a sense of inspiration to the viewer, establishing an emotional connection with Sony. It makes the viewer feel like Sony is there for them and will help them in achieving their ambitious goals.
Personally, this ad has an inspiring effect on me, mainly because I'm interested in a career in screenwriting. I already enjoy the quality of Sony products, but this ad makes me more likely to purchase them in the future and makes me feel emotionally motivated to do so. I think it will have a similar effect on most viewers because of its mainstream relatability and emotional appeal.
These are just a few of the many methods companies use to successfully market their products. Although this ad was effective on me (and probably many others), it does not necessarily guarantee that Sony is a quality company or that it can really make someone's dream become a reality. It is important to consider that Sony just wants people to but its products, and nothing more, before spending money on a Sony item or appliance.
This post is very effective in showing how advertisements can invest people solely based on how relatable they seem to be. I agree that the music plays a key role in inspiring the viewer, as it is played for the duration of the ad and creates a feeling of empowerment. Because Sony is so redundant in mentioning its company name and its variety of products, the viewer begins to subconsciously consider Sony to be a very useful and fun part of everyday life.
I agree with the whole post, Henry, in the fact that Sony did an incredible job in appealing to the common person. I think that their repetition of the brand name did subconciously make us connect this inspiration to the products. My family has a lot of Sony products, so I already think it is a great brand, but this commercial really reinforces that notion of thought.
This post is very effective in showing how advertisements can invest people solely based on how relatable they seem to be. I agree that the music plays a key role in inspiring the viewer, as it is played for the duration of the ad and creates a feeling of empowerment. Because Sony is so redundant in mentioning its company name and its variety of products, the viewer begins to subconsciously consider Sony to be a very useful and fun part of everyday life.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the whole post, Henry, in the fact that Sony did an incredible job in appealing to the common person. I think that their repetition of the brand name did subconciously make us connect this inspiration to the products. My family has a lot of Sony products, so I already think it is a great brand, but this commercial really reinforces that notion of thought.
ReplyDelete